My website got hit by Google Algorithmic Penalty, here’s what I did to recover my traffic within a few weeks.
Less than two months ago, one of my websites was badly hit by Google’s latest core algorithm update. The latest update by Google is meant to give benefits for websites which were previously “under-rewarded.”
Everyone hates it when you see a huge drop in your ranking. That means you’ll have to spend a lot of time checking and analysing what went wrong.
I must admit that I was rather tardy with monitoring this specific website’s traffic. This is a huge and costly lesson to learn from. You can’t leave your website on auto-pilot and hoping everything will be good.
1. Check Google Webmaster Tool (GWT)
As mentioned earlier, I didn’t monitor it for quite some time. Google had alerted me a few times on crawling and indexing errors. This is the best way to identify if there’s anything wrong with your website.
2. Address All Issues on GWT
I’ve gone through each section of GWT to identify all errors and issues that need to be fixed. The following are the two most critical sections to check:
- Google Index
3. Check for Spammy Backlinks
This is probably one of the main reasons why my site got penalised. Although there was indication that there was manual penalty by Google, but it’s very obvious that there were thousands of links from almost a hundred domains pointing to my site. Most of them
4. Disavow Spammy Backlinks
As soon as I’ve identified all the bad links, I created to a text file to include all the domain names and URLs which affect my website. This involves a bit of Excel work in order to create the disavow file. I also used checkmoz.com to verify the quality of the backlinks.
5. Check Quality of Posts
I checked all my top posts for to make sure that I have all the appropriate META tags on the posts. Since my website runs on WordPress, the Yoast plugin tool is extremely useful to make sure that your posts are published in accordance to their SEO recommendation.
A few SEO specialists have recommended to have a blog post of around 1,900 words. I updated most of my popular contents to around 2,000 words. After a few weeks, I noticed a boost on the ranking.
After about a month, I can see the traffic is slowly recovering. It’s slow and still painful, but I hope I can can further improve traffic and get even more quality backlinks from other websites.