Cyberjaya, a global tech hub in Malaysia has becoming a popular testbed for new technology and innovation from around the world.
Cities have become the ideal testbed for emerging technology – from Artificial Intelligence to driverless vehicles to IoT to green tech.
Cyberjaya is currently the best city in Malaysia for testing of any new technology and innovation. Cyberview, the Tech Hub Enabler of Cyberjaya is a government linked company that’s currently pursuing this.
There are already a handful of companies who have taken advantage of this opportunity and producing very positive results.
Some of the reasons why Cyberjaya is an ideal city as a testbed:
- Very well located between Kuala Lumpur City Centre and Kuala Lumpur International Airport (KLIA)
- Established and well-built infrastructure that spans over 7,000 acres (28.3 square km)
- A population of over 105,000 people
- Relatively young population; 60% of the population is aged between 20 to 49 years old
- Over 100% internet and mobile penetration rate
- Tech-savvy people with around 30,000 students who are highly adoptive to new technology
- Has a mature tech and startup ecosystem supported by other government agencies such as Malaysian Global Innovation and Creativity Centre (MaGIC) and Malaysia Digital Economy Corporation (MDEC)
My team at Cyberview has also embarked on multiple pilot projects in Cyberjaya such as:
- Installation of LoRa network for IoT devices
- Smart Traffic Light system that uses analytics to reduce queues at traffic light junctions
- Cashless Society with Fintech partners from Boost, FavePay and Fullrich with the aim to get Cyberjaya fully cashless by 2020
- Mobility – ride and car sharing platform such as SOCAR and oBike
- Smart Parking solutions with JomParking, Touchless and ParkEasy
The city which was founded by Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad in 1996 is Malaysia’s only Smart City and the only city which is pursuing on integrating various data sources into a single platform called the Integrated Common Platform. Essentially it’s a city dashboard for Cyberjaya and it’s currently being hosted at Cyberview’s office.
There are also multiple accelerator programs that are being conducted in Cyberjaya. Hackathons and Startup Weekend are regularly being organised there as well.
If you have a startup or working for an enterprise which has an innovative product or service that you wish to pilot in Cyberjaya, please get in touch with me and I’ll be happy to assist you.